Tips for a Smooth Moving Day: Part 2
Last week I gave you 5 tips for a smooth moving day.
As moving day gets closer, use these 7 packing and organization tips to make the big day go more smoothly:
1. Use clothing, towels, and blankets as your "bubble wrap." You'll save money and kill two birds with one stone by moving out more of your stuff at once. Use Styrofoam plates to separate your china before you put it all in boxes.
2. Use suitcases, baskets, laundry bins, and plastic kitchen containers as your boxes.
3. Move your furniture drawers as-is. You can wrap them with the contents inside with blankets or plastic wrap.
4. As you disassemble items, place the screws and other pieces in a plastic bag, and then tape the bag to the item so they are easy to find when you're ready to re-assemble.
5. Pack one box with essentials that you will need your first night in the house with things such as paper towels, bath towels, paper plates, tools, and cleaning supplies. Label this box clearly so you can find it easily, or put it in your vehicle.
6. Pack one large suitcase or a gym bag for each person with a change of clothes, toiletry items, and medications. Make sure those are packed in your vehicle so they don't end up on the moving truck.
7. Label everything clearly on the top and side of each box or container. Include the room the box should land in. If you want to go an extra step, create an inventory list for each box or color code the labels. You will be so glad you did this once you arrive!
Don't let moving stress you out! You have a new home waiting for you, so it will all be worth it! Call me and I'll help you through the entire process.
Posted on 05/10/2016 1:15 PM by Kari Slusser
Tips for a Smooth Moving Day: Part 1
I'm seeing SOLD signs all over the Middle Tennessee area, so that means many of you are about to start the process of moving! Even if you haven't listed or sold your house yet, but you've got the bug to do it soon, a little planning and organizing can make your moving day go much more smoothly.
Start your planning several weeks in advance if possible with these 5 tips:
1. If you're renting your own truck or hiring movers, you'll need to call several weeks in advance to make sure you have what you need on moving day. Most people move on weekends, usually the first or last weekend of the month, so get your name on the books!
2. Start stockpiling boxes and newspapers as soon as you can. Also go ahead and stock up on supplies such as packing tape, markers, labels, and bubble wrap so you can start packing up the things you can live without for a few weeks instead of waiting until the last minute to pack up everything you own.
3. Speaking of things you can live without for a few weeks, if your budget allows, rent a storage unit or pod to get as much stuff out of the way before your home goes on the market. It is a proven fact that clutter is a huge turnoff to buyers, so get it out of the way before your home goes on the market to make your home more appealing for a quick sale!
4. As you start to pack, make four piles: keep, trash, donations, and sell. There are so many good reasons to de-clutter before your move. You do not want to pay someone to move stuff you don't want anymore, and you will not want to deal with it once you get to your new home.
5. Consider the move as you do your grocery shopping during the days leading up to the day the moving truck arrives. Cook up meals from your freezer and start throwing out all expired items from your fridge and pantry. Again, you don't want to move anything unnecessary.
Next week I'll share some great organizational tips for making your moving expeience so much easier!
photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net
Posted on 05/06/2016 5:17 PM by Jarod